Monday, April 26, 2010

The God of All Comfort

Given that yesterday was Sunday, I did not get a chance to post anything new. Between attending church with my family and afternoon family nap time, I did not find much spare time to write.  Sundays are wonderful days to be with family, including church family, and taking afternoon naps. It is about the only time I can get my husband and son to rest.  I enjoy those leisurely reflective days very much.  I imagine Heaven will be an eternity full of Sundays, but only God knows for sure.  But I can imagine that we will be singing together praise and worship music also, and what an amazing eternity it will be.

I wanted to pass on the sermon from yesterday as preached by our Pastor of Student Ministries.  It spoke to my heart because I have been deeply effected by the subject matter. It is taken from II Corinthians 1:1-11 which states:

 1  Paul, an apostle of Christ Jesus by the will of God, and Timothy our brother,
To the church of God in Corinth, together with all the saints throughout Achaia:
 Grace and peace to you from God our Father and the Lord Jesus Christ.
 The God of All Comfort
Praise be to the God and Father of our Lord Jesus Christ, the Father of compassion and the God of all comfort,  who comforts us in all our troubles, so that we can comfort those in any trouble with the comfort we ourselves have received from God.  For just as the sufferings of Christ flow over into our lives, so also through Christ our comfort overflows.  If we are distressed, it is for your comfort and salvation; if we are comforted, it is for your comfort, which produces in you patient endurance of the same sufferings we suffer.  And our hope for you is firm, because we know that just as you share in our sufferings, so also you share in our comfort.
 We do not want you to be uninformed, brothers, about the hardships we suffered in the province of Asia. We were under great pressure, far beyond our ability to endure, so that we despaired even of life.  Indeed, in our hearts we felt the sentence of death. But this happened that we might not rely on ourselves but on God, who raises the dead.  10 He has delivered us from such a deadly peril, and he will deliver us. On him we have set our hope that he will continue to deliver us,  11 as you help us by your prayers. Then many will give thanks on oura behalf for the gracious favor granted us in answer to the prayers of many.
_____________________________________________________________________

I can truly say I have taken comfort and refuge in my faith in God with every sadness that has come my way.  I can say it has not been an easy road, but I have had my faith tested and know I would have rather had the sadness in my life than not, since it has given me total reliance on God.  Here are some verses that will speak about what has been produced in my life:

Romans 5:3-5
Not only so, but wec also rejoice in our sufferings, because we know that suffering produces perseverance;  4perseverance, character; and character, hope.  And hope does not disappoint us, because God has poured out his love into our hearts by the Holy Spirit, whom he has given us.


James 1:2-5

Consider it pure joy, my brothers, whenever you face trials of many kinds,  because you know that the testing of your faith develops perseverance.  Perseverance must finish its work so that you may be mature and complete, not lacking anything.  If any of you lacks wisdom, he should ask God, who gives generously to all without finding fault, and it will be given to him.  

Not only have these sufferings have made me more mature and complete, they have enabled me to have more compassion and care towards others.  I can comfort others who are now walking where I have been.  One example I can think of is having been left out of things, and because of that my heart is burdened for others that get left out. I always tried to make friends in high school with those who were the odd man out.  I was really bothered by the popularity contests, and the cruelty towards other students that did not make the mold.  I was able to use that hurt and turn it around in a positive way.  I know with God this would not be possible at all.

 Enjoy the sermon as you will find some humorous parts as well.  We had some great laughs and lots to think about. Thank you Dave for that and some great scripture as well.  Here is the link:  

http://www.emmanuelburbank.org/2010/04/25/the-god-of-all-comfort/

Please email me if you have any questions or concerns.  I almost feel I should say more but given the time of night, I am off to sleep now.

Kari

3 comments:

  1. hi from the mbc! it's nice to see how strong your faith is. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi! Stopping by from MBC. Great blog.

    Have a nice day!

    ReplyDelete